GREETINGS


First time blogger here. The title may suggest I'm going to write
about cycling - which I am - but as there's no bike to be seen in the uploaded photo (& I'm afraid that is me), I may be posting on everything else under the sun, or then again I may confine my comments to bike-related issues only.

In my defence, I can say this snap (right) was taken at the 2008 Tour de France, on a rainy day in Brittany. I think it was an uneventful early stage of the Tour. We spent four hours camped under a small umbrella, hogging our vantage point on a street corner. Of course, the race whizzed past us in seconds when the army of Lycra-wearing warriors finally pedalled up the hill towards us.
Luckily we then found two seats in a nearby bar and watched the race finish a 100km or so up the road. It seems a ludicrous waste of time and effort when the riders slog away for hours, cycling huge distances, only for the race to be decided in a photo-finish, mass sprint at the end. Why not have sprint-sized races of 500m? Think of all the extra housework and family face time the riders would have, if they didn't have to slog through the French countryside before contesting the inevitable 500m sprint?
At least the mountains are a satisfyingly different proposition for rider and spectator alike.
I'll return with more to say shortly.

Bye for now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WINTER KIT YOU CAN'T DO WITHOUT

TACKLING THE COBRA

TWO-THIRDS A MADMAN